The Agri Horticultural Society of India, covering 24 acres of garden area on Alipore Road, Kolkata, was founded in 1820 by Rev. Dr. William Carey. It has a flower garden, greenhouses, a research laboratory and a library. The society organises annual flower shows in winter and also provides horticulture trainings. A large variety of ferns and medicinal plants are also grown in the Society’s gardens.
As per AHSI website – “The Annual Flower Show organised by the Society is the World’s oldest Flower Show in existence. Since the early part of 1828, ever year (barring 1940), this competition has been taking place as a prominent fixture of Kolkata’s happening.”
I happened to visit one of the winter flower shows some years back. There were dahlias, chrysanthemums, roses and all sorts of flowers everywhere and it was a wonderful experience. I am sharing some photos from the flower show here.
The Rose garden is one of the biggest attractions to look out for. There are around 250 variety of roses in various colours and shades. Each also has a name with placard placed next to it. Here are a few close up photos from the rose garden.
Another thing to look out for during the flower shows are the decorations made using flowers, plants and other items. These decorations display beauty and creativity combined with nature.
Hopefully these photos will inspire you to plan a visit to one of the flower shows.
- AHSI winter flower show is held in January and the annual flower show is held in February
- Flower show dates are announced in local newspapers, hoardings and also on the AHSI website
- There is an entry free to the flower shows and tickets are sold at the entrance gates
- Flower shows are normally held over 3-4 days
- Parking in Alipore area is tough so cab is a better option
- It should take about 3-4 hours to enjoy the gardens and the flower shows
Hope you enjoyed the photos. Your comments and suggestions are most welcome.
Please share using links below: