It has been a while since I wrote my last post as I was busy travelling, so decided to write a short travel story and keep up the momentum.
I have been writing my last posts about my travels in India and Europe, so thought of moving to the other continent I have had the chance to visit quite a few times and that is North America. This post is about my visit to the USA. We all know it is a huge country and there are so many things to experience in this country and its various states. I have been to quite a few of the states and some famous touristy spots. But one area which I loved for its tranquil environment was on the west coast by the Pacific ocean, a quaint little area called Montara, in the San Mateo County of California.
I visited Montara Beach just north of the Half Moon Bay, with some friends from San Mateo on a sunny California day. The drive from San Mateo to Half Moon Bay takes around half an hour depending on traffic as everywhere. The road passes through some scenic routes with hills on either sides and bends around the hills, so it is nice to experience the sun and shades at the same time.
The Half Moon Bay area is famous for being one of the largest beach areas in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are also quite a number of parks around the hills surrounding the coastal area from Pescadero through Montara.
We went down the sandy Montara beach for a stroll and it was absolutely tranquil where you can feel one with nature. You can just stand there for hours staring at the ocean in front of you. All you see and hear is the sound of the waves and the surf breaking on the seashore.
We reached there when the sun was about to set and I waited to watch the sunset on the Pacific Ocean. Observing the sun getting hidden from view bit by bit and the sky getting filled with a golden hue was one of the best sunset viewing I ever had.
The shots were taken few minutes apart with a very basic aim and shoot camera, nevertheless I think it captured the beauty of nature.
After such a beautiful sunset all you need is some nice food and drink. Since it was quite late on a summer evening, we randomly picked a place overlooking the Montara Beach to enjoy our evening meal. It was a Peruvian restaurant, La Costanera (http://lacostanerarestaurant.com/) with great food and had option for an ocean view dining.
There was sitting arrangement outdoors with fireplaces and blankets to cover up if it gets cold outside. Excellent food, great environment, fabulous scenery, what more can you ask for!
After an enjoyable meal, it was time to head back to San Mateo to the reality of the world. It was an experience I will cherish in my memories and if I am ever back to California, would definitely make an attempt to visit this place again.
- Half Moon Bay weather is quite unpredictable and can feel quite chilly with the wind. Best to have a jacket and scarf with you at all times
- There are lots of activities to do in the Half Moon Bay area, so it is good to do your research on your interests before you visit
- Maverick’s Beach is one of the top big wave surfing spots in the world, and for newbies there are lots of surf instructors available
- Half Moon Bay Kayak Company offers kayaks, paddle boards and bicycle rentals
- There is also various mountain trail walks in this area
- Close by the other point of historical interest with great food and superb view is the Moss Beach Distillery (http://www.mossbeachdistillery.com/) which is a restaurant in Moss Beach, located on a cliff which overlooks the Pacific Ocean. This was initially set up as a speakeasy but was converted to a restaurant after the Prohibition ended in 1933
You may also like the photo story : Sunsets in various parts of the world
Hope you enjoyed reading this post. Your comments and suggestions are most welcome. You can also subscribe for new posts.
Please share using links below: